Sunday, December 21, 2008

Yummy snowed-in Blueberry French Toast

Good morning! Another snowy day in Spokane and I'm not going anywhere today. I looked in my cookbooks and my cupboards to see which things would match to make a yummy breakfast for the three of us. This is what I came up, courtesy of Gooseberry Patch "Farmhouse Christmas", and it was wonderful! Two pieces of blueberry french toast, bacon and orange juice made for a great snowy Sunday morning breakfast. (see the end of this post to get the review from the boys!)


Blueberry French Toast
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 Tblsp cornstarch
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 3 Tblsp water, divided
3 eggs, beaten
6 slices bread**
2 Tblsp butter, melted
cinnamon sugar

Place blueberries in a 13 x 9 pan. Blend cornstarch, orange juice, sugar and 1/2 cup of water together and place over blueberries. In shallow dish or pie pan, beat eggs and 3 Tblsp of water together. Dip slices of bread in egg mixture, allowing bread to absorb eggs and then place on top of blueberries. Brush bread with butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake in 350 oven for 15-20 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted and blueberries are bubbly and thickened.

** I used Poulsbo Bread (I grew up in the Poulsbo area!) I also needed more than 3 eggs because of the bigger bread. I will cook it a little bit longer than 20 minutes next time I make this recipe, but I am thinking it's one of my new breakfast favorites!! We'll see what the boys say...if it gets a thumbs up, it's a keeper.

WOW -- they both came in and said it's more than a five thumbs up recipe! Ian didn't like the nuts that are in the Poulsbo bread but that's easily fixed for next time if he's here! That's all the bread I have at the moment, though, and I can eat Poulsbo bread anytime, anywhere.

2 comments:

Lisa Skier said...

Made it this morning for breakfast it was great! Lisa

The Farmer's Wife said...

Thank you for the Christmas morning recipe!!! Can't wait to try it. We eat breakfast stuff at night,even, and I'm always on the lookout for new recipes. Yum!