Friday, June 26, 2009
Good morning! I'm back from my first week of camp...it was intense training on the challenge course. I think I am one big bruise/sore muscle! I'm learning lots, both about how to minister to the kids I'm working with and lots about myself. Amazing that at 45, I'm still figuring out me.
Here's my list this week~
1. cooler weather. It was hot at camp and I was thankful for the cooler mornings when I'd go for walks/runs. However, I have the start of a great tan!
2. the beauty of the camp. I sit on the deck of the lodge, with my coffee cup, looking at the stillness of the surrounding area. Yesterday I saw an osprey swoop down into the river to grab a fish & take it back up to its nest. HOW MAJESTIC!!
3. reminders of God's love everywhere. The team I'm with is amazing! Out of 18 team members, I'm the mom of the group. But they accept me with open arms and they're such a testimony of His love. We're learning lots together and I'm proud to be a part of Camp Tshimikain.
4. my own bed! Last night I think I fell into a "lack of sleep" coma. I don't remember my head hitting the pillow.
5. a super reliable car. We're headed to Seattle this morning for a half marathon. My car is such a great little car, with A/C. Now that we have a new transmission (in Feb), it has zero problems & it'll be perfect for parking in those tight little places.
Have a wonderful weekend~ coffee is always ready, plus adding unsweetened iced tea to the fridge, too. I miss my girlfriends~ esp. since I don't get email or cell phone coverage all week! (I had LOTS to catch up with -- 257 emails, FACEBOOK, laundry, playing with the puppies and kitties!)
Drop me a note...I'd love to hear from you! Headed back to camp in Monday morning~
Friday, June 19, 2009
Good morning! Grab a big cup of New Guinea coffee and enjoy the chaos with me. At the moment I have five dogs (three beagles, one border collie and one chow mix), four cats (two kittens, one young cat and one old cat), two adult kids and the one & only husband at my house! When the house is only 900 sq feet on the main floor, it's definite chaos when the four legged kids start running through the house! What a time of laughter, though!!Here's my Gratitude Friday list:
1. strength to do pilates and circuit training! I might be sore tomorrow, but I did the classes this morning and made it through the entire hour & a half. Whew~ these last few pounds have been hanging on so I wanted to up the workouts. Tomorrow I'm doing a fun run, next week is the Seattle RNR Half Marathon.
2. my friend Polly! She and I met this morning for coffee at Rogue. She surprised me with a little birthday gift of a coffee journal and gel pens for writing about my summer adventures.
3. the rain! I don't have to water the lawns today.
4. Half.com! I have been able to purchase some amazing teacher types of books for dirt cheap, thanks to Half.com. When David lived in Germany, I was able to purchase DVDs and music for 75 cents, plus shipping. Check it out yourself!
5. little towns! I've applied for a 5th grade teaching job in the rural community of Tekoa,
The school is cuter than a bug's ear and only has about 100 kids enrolled in its elementary school. David and I are going down to the town tomorrow for the fun run because I truly believe in getting involved in the community where you work. I feel really good about this job and I'd love it if you'd join me in prayer about my application finding favor in whomever reads it & interviews me.
Tekoa Elementary SchoolThis Monday I leave for camp so I won't be updating the blog except for Gratitude Fridays. You can send me mail at camp: Tshimakain Creek Camp (Attn: Kerri York) , 6088 Martha Boardman Rd, Ford, WA 99013.
Until next time, bottoms up on your coffee cup! And if you think of me, I could use a Starbucks run way out in the middle of nowhere -- venti nonfat vanilla latte!
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Last night as I was driving home, I was listening to this song and really listened to the first few lines. "When the music fades and all is stripped away, I simply come. Longing to bring something of worth that will bless your heart..." What am I doing these days to bless His heart, what do I have that is of worth to bring to Him? I'm headed to camp for the entire summer on Monday so I am busy finishing up last minute details around the house and completing a few more teaching applications. Camp will be a great time of relaxing, reflecting and being with the camp kids!
Monday, June 8, 2009
Friday, June 5, 2009
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Thanks for praying. Stay tuned....I should know something within the next two weeks.
Today's job is finding me teaching in the Resource Room. It's not a new school for me, but definitely a new assignment. I'm up for the challenge today!
Working on that teaching job application, too. I was able to do a quick post office run late in the afternoon to mail off a copy of my teaching certificate and all of my transcripts. Now to get the application complete and hit the "send" button. The deadline is tomorrow so I've got to keep pluggin' away!
Happy Wednesday, everyone!! Two more days til the weekend~
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
I had multi grain cheerios for breakfast! (my usual good breakfast!!) but not any coffee.
I had nothing but water for lunch due to having a back to back teaching job and I didn't pack a lunch!
This afternoon I inhaled a candy bar from Walmart!
This evening I ate three pieces of Domino's Hawaiian Pizza!
And I'm reaaaallllllllllly sleepy but the Beagle Boys need to be walked!
I think I'd better walk about 5 miles to get rid of everything I ate and make the scale happy again in the morning!!
- Teaching 1st grade today. Yesterday was Kindergarten and I think I am glad that I have no more Kindergarten jobs this school year! Love those little guys but I'm ready to teach in some higher grades!
- Two new kitties! Jennifer and Brad decided that we needed a new kitten. Well, we're getting TWO! One is pure white (her name is Blanco) and the other is grey and white tabby (his name is Bandit) Not sure why they thought we needed one or two kittens. I guess they are coming home in a few weeks. I'll be sure to post pictures when they arrive. Wonder what the Beagle Boys will think of their new chew toys! (Mary, see?!?! You should have sent me your kitties!!)
- Job searching. I'm working on a job application for Richland School District. They have a few openings and they're only 2 1/2 hours away from Spokane. I'd love to get the 5th grade position or the 4th grade or the 2nd grade! Getting a job in Richland would mean I would have to live there during the school year but it'd be a full time teaching job and I could come home on weekends. (or David could come see me!)
- David is starting his teaching certification classes at Whitworth University in August!! He wants to get his endorsement in High School Science. After his graduation in 2012, we'll be able to move to where there's jobs!
- 21 days until I start work out at the Union Gospel Mission Kids' Camp! Lots to do between now and then -- including going home this weekend for a celebration of the Hansville Church, a wedding, continued training for the Seattle Rock and Roll Half Marathon and the Gaudy Gown Gala ladies' retreat. I live out at the camp Monday through Thursday, giving me three day weekends to be at home.
That's the odds and ends of my brain this morning..... time for a big cup of coffee! Enjoy your day~