Sunday, December 7, 2008

Remembering Pearl Harbor -- December 7, 1941

As an American, a recently retired Air Force wife and an elementary school teacher, I try to remember these types of days! I was bothered that I didn't remember today's significance until I was reading the paper tonight.

I was doing some research about the day and I found a blog that touched my heart -- Robert Stein shared his memories about the day he heard the news of Pearl Harbor. As I read his blog, I thought about my father-in-law who served in the Pacific during WWII. What sacrifices the Greatest Generation gave to their country! Thank you, Mr. Stein, for sharing today! I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog this evening.

Another story I found is written for the Washington Post. The following is from Rear Adm. Ted Walker, who spoke at a wreath laying ceremony at the US Naval Memorial to commemorate the 67th anniversary of the attack. It brought the impact of December 7, 1941, much more closer to home for me as I read these words:

"For those of you who are in the audience and don't remember Pearl Harbor but do remember 9/11, just remember the unity of the American people after that terrible event," he told the crowd of several dozen people. "Double it or triple it, and you will see what the impact of Pearl Harbor was on this nation."

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Wonderful post. My husband's father was stationed on Pearl Harbor when it was bombed. The day holds special memories for our family. If you like you can check out his 12/7/08 post at http://kimotiki.blogspot.com/. Thanks for remembering the day.

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I just wanted to stop by to thank you for visiting my blog today as part of BATW.

This post was so beautifully written and is a touching reminder of a tragic day in our history. Thank you for commemorating it.