Wednesday, April 29, 2009
I hadn't been keeping track of how much I've lost, either poundage or inches, because I didn't have a scale that worked very well. It'd say one weight the first time I stepped on, step on it again and I'd either gained or lost two pounds in 20 seconds.
I bought a new digital scale yesterday, one with BIG numbers so these 44 yr old eyes could see the display. Being 5'8" makes it difficult to see down to my toes! (Thankfully it's just the distance, not because my tummy is in the way!)
Such exciting news!! I'm down to 157....last May I weighed in at 178!!! (and I wasn't even pregnant..quite sad.) Clothes fit so much differently and although I'm wearing a size 10, I feel quite thin and lean. There's still some inches to go....and seven more pounds to my goal. The gym and I have become bestest friends and as I train for the Seattle Rock and Roll Half Marathon, I'm reminded every day to not let the committee win. Even when I don't want to drag my hiney into the gym or walk with the Beagle Boys outside, I need to go! No more excuses and baby steps if needed. If you're struggling with losing weight or need incentive to get going, let me know...I'll be your biggest cheerleader!!!
I just wanted to share the exciting news with you...perhaps I'll see if the Duke will take a picture of me in my new dress that is adorable with polka dots! I went to dinner tonight with a girlfriend and ate just a shrimp & spinach salad. It's so easy to remember calories when you know how long you have to be on the treadmill to lose those calories! :)
Happy rest of your week.... remember, NO MORE EXCUSES! :)
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Friday, April 24, 2009
1. cousins coming to town! They actually arrive this weekend so we're scrambling around the house, making it guest ready. Jean and Geoff are from the Vancouver, BC area and we had so much fun the last time they were with us. I have wonderful memories with my cousins growing up! Glad they are visiting again so soon.
2. time off from teaching to walk the Beagle Boys. It's not my favorite thing to do, to have time off from work because it means no paycheck. But since I didn't have many jobs this week, I was able to take the dogs on very long walks, benefitting all of us. You can see pictures of our last walk if you scroll back a day or two! The weather has been so nice that it's been great to be outside.
3. stories in the Bible that remind me that everything is going to be okay! Getting older, I'm getting more in tuned with my body and that includes those dreaded monthly periods. I finally went to the dr about a month ago and I got checked out to see if I have fibroids because things have just been horrible for me each month. I started on a new medicine to help with the cycle and boy, has it messed with my system! I am starting to relate to the lady who bled for 12 years. If I just had faith to touch the hem of His garment! Time to make sure I spend time with the Great Physician, plus call the regular dr to see what we can do to make things go a tad bit smoother. Ever try to teach when you need the restroom about every hour?!
4. this morning, I'm thankful for my cup of coffee! It means I get to spend time with Company Girls, seeing what's new in their lives this week. It's also very frosty and foggy on this Friday so the coffee mug is warming up my hands.
5. the opportunity to go back to Whitworth University yesterday and share about my experiences as a guest (aka substitute) teacher! I think the neatest thing was to be able to remind them that teaching is our mission field, whether we get to share Jesus directly or not. But it's our actions and love that we show the kids which also shows Jesus' love. I reminded the soon to be graduates of the Evening Teaching Certification program that my motto is "If I give the best of me, that becomes my legacy!", no matter which class or school or school district I'm teaching in. I also shared that I pray for my students when I'm putting their chairs down or washing their tables off. It makes a world of difference to take Jesus into the classroom with me!
Time to get ready to teach Kindergarten again today! Remember, I have no voice so it should be quite interesting. Would you just say a prayer that the day goes smoothly? thanks!! be sure to leave your gratitude list so we can rejoice over your blessings, too.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
I was enjoying the scenery with the boys happily sniffing everything on the ground!
Monday, April 20, 2009
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Friday, April 17, 2009
Monday, April 13, 2009
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Welcome, Company Girls and everyone else! Grab a big mug of hot coffee and pull up a chair. Today's Gratitude Friday list also includes a very sweet but longer "Once Upon A Time" story about two young ladies who grew up in the same part of the country. The year was 1976-1977 and they were a couple of the singing beauties in the North Kitsap Middle School 7th grade choir. The girls were standing right next to each other in the middle row but never got to know each other really well. One girl lived in Poulsbo, the other girl lived in Hansville. (about 15 miles apart!)
(click on each picture to enlarge a smidge!)
The Poulsbo girl moved away in the spring of her 8th grade year. Not realizing that the Poulsbo girl had moved, the Hansville girl just kept being good friends with the rest of the choir and she graduated from North Kitsap High School in 1982! The Poulsbo girl was forgotten!! (or so everyone thought!)
Fast forward THIRTY TWO YEARS (32 years!!)
The Hansville girl (lady!) got married and had kids. The Hansville girl is now a Spokane lady. And although she never knew what happened to the Poulsbo girl, there might have been some special circumstances that led her to find out what exactly happened to that Poulsbo girl!
The Hansville lady got very interested in blogging and somehow, perhaps by browsing another Company Girl's webpage (who lives also in Spokane!), found Home Sanctuary. One day the Hansville lady mentioned during Company Girl Friday and on her Gratitude Friday list about spring, tulips and daffodils. They're very special bulb flowers that are always found in the springtime in Hansville and Poulsbo. Well, the author of Home Sanctuary wrote the Spokane lady and said that she REALLY misses having daffodils but they don't grow well in Ft. Worth, Texas. She also mentioned that she loves springtime because she grew up in Poulsbo, WA. The Spokane lady screeched when she read that. Someone else grew up in the same part of the country?! (remember, The Spokane lady is the Hansville girl who lived just 15 miles from Poulsbo!)
The beautiful story continues with the Hansville girl contacting the Poulsbo girl and the ladies figured out that they were in middle school together, they'd been in choir together and had had some of the same friends growing up! If the Poulsbo girl had remained there for the rest of her school education, both of them would have graduated together in 1982. And as the Poulsbo girl stated, "perhaps BFF!"
It only gets better! The Hansville girl grabbed the yearbooks and found pictures of them. Look back up to the top of the page to see our own Rachel Anne (Home Sanctuary!) aka Poulsbo Girl on the left and Kerri (Latte' Buddies) aka Hansville Girl on the right. The choir picture has the two girls in the second row up, smack next to each other in the middle.
The Hansville girl and the Poulsbo girl are back in contact after 32 years! Neither of them knew where life had taken both of them. They didn't have a clue about each other. Thanks to technology, the love of Jesus and curiousity, the girls are reconnected! They have talked on the phone a few times, laughing and giggling like girlfriends do. It is just a hoot! Both of their families think they're crazy.
Stay tuned for more recent pictures! Rachel Anne and I will be meeting over Mother's Day weekend in Ft. Worth! The most amazing thing is that we will be living happily ever after with Jesus when we're home in Heaven with Him. What a glorious Company Girl coffee time that will be!!
Gratitude List: finding oldtime friends, having friends from the dorky jr high days and they still love me, Company Girls, beautiful sunshine, teaching most of the week, trials and tribulations that bring us closer to Jesus! What is on YOUR list today?
Here's my coffee table at the moment:
I L-O-V-E tulips and daffodils so they're all over my house. I am just starting to get them in my yard so right now I'm purchasing them from my local grocery story. This arrangement on my coffee table isn't the most elegant but I'm loving the beauty of the pink and white together. Who knows? Perhaps I'll take the tulips out of the vase and re-arrange to make the colors be spread out a little bit more evenly.
Speaking of loving tulips and daffodils, stay tuned for a special coffee time on Friday! You'll never believe how my love of tulips and daffodils has connected me with a longtime friend from 32 years ago. AMAZING and DELIGHTFUL story ahead~ join me for coffee tomorrow!
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
David works for a non profit organization here in town and after seeing a posting on the website that employment applications are being accepted for his position, it's very disheartening. I don't know the whole story yet. My heart is very heavy as we come to the end of a school year where I don't have a teaching income. We are not ready for another round of unemployment, either.
I just really don't understand this time!!!! Would you please pray for us and share words of encouragement with us?
Sunday, April 5, 2009
The Duke and Duchess have melted into a chocolate/butterscotch/peanut butter coma after nibbling ONE each of the Scotcheroos. The "frosting" wasn't quite hard yet but they had to try them. The Duchess felt the need to even out the pan a little bit so she actually had one and a smidge....hence the chocolate smudges that are still on her lips and chin! The Farmer's Wife's Scotcheroos earned FIVE stars in the York household. They are blessed to have such wonderful friends that shared their amazing but simple recipes. This recipe is going straight in the Royal Cookbook!
Aline and Kerri
(Aline is my prayer warrior physician assistant at the MS Center!)
Saturday, April 4, 2009
What great recipes do you have that you can share with me? I'm in a major slump, esp wanting to lose 15 pounds. Sometimes it's just easier to not eat. I know, not healthy at all. Please share your menus, recipes for healthy dishes and something that includes chocolate!
You can help get me out of the slump~
Friday, April 3, 2009
Here's my list --
1. meeting a Spokane Company Girl for coffee and yummy banana bread! We talked and shared for a few hours. What a treat!!! And we both agree, we can't wait til there's a Company Girl get together -- we are SO there! Thanks, Melissa!!
Company Girls!2. a daytime trip with David to warm & sunny Ellensburg and Yakima. It also included lunch with Jen at Olive Garden.
3. two very long walks with the Beagle Boys at Spokane's Riverside State Park and Ellensburg's Riverfront Park. The snifferdoodle noses were working overtime at both of these places.
Ubu sitting so nicely!
4. an amazing lunch with Lisa V. at Riverpark Square today. Salad, fries and Pink Martinis -- "pink-tini!" It was a delightful afternoon of shopping at Godiva Chocolates, Nordstrom coffee bar and the cosmetic counter, lots of window shopping, laughter and great conversation. I need more days like this!
Pink-tinis in support of the Susan Komen Foundation!5. Spring break and no responsibility of kiddos! It was time to rest and re-charge. Armed with my laptop, cell phone and good books, I was the Princess in bed for most of the weekend. 10 hours of sleep almost every day. It's just what I needed!
6. the sunshine when it came out. We had snow here a few times (did I mention that it was supposed to be SPRING BREAK?!) and when the sun came out, I was cheering big time.
Mr. York getting the car ready for us on Thursday morning!
7. I had two dr appts today and am thankful for having such caring drs! I'm headed on Sunday to participate in the MS Walk with the staff of the MS Center at Holy Family. I love these ladies!!