Sunday, November 22, 2009

"Follow Me...no procrastination, no backward looks"

Tonight at church Dave, our pastor, spoke on this portion of scripture. I was listening!

From The Message Luke 9:57-62 On the road someone asked if he could go along. "I'll go with you, wherever," he said. Jesus was curt: "Are you ready to rough it? We're not staying in the best inns, you know." Jesus said to another, "Follow me." He said, "Certainly, but first excuse me for a couple of days, please. I have to make arrangements for my father's funeral." Jesus refused. "First things first. Your business is life, not death. And life is urgent: Announce God's kingdom!" Then another said, "I'm ready to follow you, Master, but first excuse me while I get things straightened out at home." Jesus said, "No procrastination. No backward looks. You can't put God's kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day."

My own paraphrase of what Jesus is asking, " Are you going to give up what you want?" Yikes! Instantly my mind filled with thoughts of the wanting of my own classroom. I didn't like that. But am I going to be obedient and give up what I want? It's His plans and He doesn't need me to try to fix things the way I want them to be. He's got it figured out... "just follow me!"Looking at my wants over the next few days, I'm sure there's lots in my life because I just walk into Starbucks right now and I WANT all of the new items. For those who know me, I'm a huge procrastinator (and being a perfectionist, too) Look at what Jesus said, "NO PROCRASTINATION!Today's the day, get going." Talk about a kick in the hiney tonight!

I'm listening and ready to follow now. Hang in there with me, it's going to be the most interesting journey! Destination time: the rest of my life

ps A song we sang tonight had this phrase, "The One who spoke the waters into place whispers into my ear." He does all those amazing big and little things, just for me and you! Let Him whisper to you like He does to me.

No comments: