Tuesday, January 12, 2010

All you need is love....I want to leave a legacy!

Remember the Beatles' song "All you need is love"? That's what I think each day when I go into my 6th grade classroom. I love these kids -- some of them come from tough backgrounds, some have a blank looking stare all day long -- and I show them love in so many different ways. I don't even think they're aware of it. But I do know that I am making a difference in their lives each day!

This week has been easier than last week. Although I think I keep adding more work to the pile of "To do" as I learn more and more about the requirements of a sixth grade teacher (today I taught about common sense and manners!) I'm beginning to see why full time teachers get weary. However, I choose to put in the long hours because I want to be prepared and organized. The kids reap the benefits, too!

I'm a pretty simple teacher -- I expect the best from them! I love the song "In the Blink of An Eye" by Mercy Me. The one line "if I give the best of me, that becomes my legacy" has become my motto and I'm sharing it with the kids. I won't be in their classroom but for a small chunk of their 6th grade educational career. And as Nicole Nordman says it so nicely "I want to leave a legacy How will they remember me? Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough?"

I hope the kids see Jesus in me as I'm with them these next few weeks. If you think of us, be praying! After lunch is the hardest time....I don't know what happens but they come back different kids after lunch and teaching becomes difficult! I am so thankful for the hot cup of coffee right out of the coffee pot -- it keeps me going.

No comments: